Which home charger to buy?

The place to discuss everything else..
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

If you’re UK based are you getting a home charger installed? If so which one?

robbo969

Post by robbo969 »

I have ordered the Hypervolt system as they have great reviews and promise an innovative, and I couldn’t find it elsewhere, solar option. My thinking is that the chancellor may make solar ever more attractive to increase our energy security (the VAT exemption being a step!) and I wanted the option.

Most chargers that support solar top up the feed to make 7.2 KWh. So if you are charging through the day and the panels offer c. 3KWh (about average I read) then you’re paying for 4.2KWh at daytime rates as that is when the sun is out! So it would be cheaper to charge overnight. The Hypervolt system has an option to only use whatever the solar panels generate; you can be solar during the day and then time for grid overnight to top up further.

The kit hasn’t been installed yet so this is theory. What do people think, is it decent logic?
dbpianos

Post by dbpianos »

The myenergi Zappi was our unit of choice. It's been covered pretty thoroughly elsewhere, but basically offers options including diverting excess solar power into the car or charging at full chat or scheduling charging (e.g. at night), and it has a handy phone app to control all this

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post